27 Aug Healthy Tips to Reduce Calories and Still Enjoy Your Meals
If you desire to lose weight, making some small changes in the way that you eat will bring you big results. Much of the way we eat is out of habit. If we strive to become more mindful of what and how much we are eating, we can cut down significantly on the amount of sugar and fat in our diet.
You see, many times we add sugar and fats to our food completely out of habit. I’ve watched people salt their foods before they even taste it. The remarkable thing is that making some very small but practical changes to your eating habits can eliminate many hidden calories. I’ve outlined some healthy tips that will trick your mind and your tummy. You’ll drop pounds without even feeling like you are dieting.
1. Pour fat-free, soy-milk or rice-milk into your cereal instead of whole milk.
2. Skip the donuts or sweet rolls and have a fruit salad, bowl of melon, berries or banana with low-fat milk. Sprinkle with flaxseed for some healthy Omega-3 fatty acids.
3. Use cooking spray when cooking eggs instead of oiling the pan.
4. Choose nonstick pans instead of oil, too.
5. Spice up your coffee with cinnamon or nutmeg instead of sugary syrup.
6. Substitute Canadian bacon for regular bacon or sausage.
7. Make omelets healthier and lower in calories by substituting 4 egg whites for 2 whole eggs.
8. Omit or cut in half the butter you normally use on muffins and bread.
9. Choose all fruit jam over sugary jelly.
10. Use a fat-free cream cheese as spread for bagels, toast and English muffins.
1. Add lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles to your hamburger or sandwich. This will help to add veggies to every meal and you can omit the cheese or use a half slice of low fat cheese instead.
2. Choose fat-free mayonnaise and fat-free or Light Ranch dressing.
3. Have a grilled veggie sandwich in a pita instead of a meat sandwich.
4. Substitute regular butter for fat-free butter spray.
5. Make your own pizza and use less cheese.
6. Substitute fat-free sour cream in regular recipes.
7. Trim all fat from cuts of beef, pork and chicken.
8. Bake, broil or grill your meat rather than frying.
9. Select a homemade tuna fish (water packed variety) sandwich on regular bread over a hamburger and fries or large deli type sandwich.
10. Remove the skin before you eat your cooked chicken.
1. Try to eat at the same time each day, or closest to it. Maintaining a regular schedule maintains your sugar levels and keeps you from overeating or becoming hungry between meals.
2. Add celery and onions to all soups to add volume and taste.
3. Eat an apple before meals to add vitamins, fiber and to help satisfy your appetite.
4. Drink water or unsweetened tea with your meals. Add a lemon slice and an orange slice instead of sugar.
5. Prepare your own salad dressing with 2 parts balsamic vinegar and one part extra virgin olive oil.
6. Reduce the amount of cheese in casseroles.
7. Serve vegetable appetizers as well as meat and cheese.
8. Omit or cut in half the butter you use to cook with.
9. Savor and enjoy your food. Eat slowly for proper digestion and to help you become satisfied.
10. Wait at least 10 minutes after eating before returning for second helpings.